Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Connie Martin

Default Data Validation

This appears to be working in all respects. Thank you very much! Connie

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

OK...see if this get you any closer

Set the format of the input cells to Text (so they'll display leading zeros)
<Format<Cells<Number tab<Category: Text

<Data<Validation<Settings tab
Allow: custom
Formula is: =AND(--A10,INT(A1)=(--A1),LEN(A1)=8)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Connie Martin" wrote:

It also won't let me type 12345678, which is an 8-digit number. The cell is
4 cells merged, but when you click in it, it is identified as E4 so I changed
all the A1 references in your formula to E4 but it won't accept 12345678.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

Select the cells to have Data Validation, with A1 as the active cell

<Data<Validation<Settings tab
Allow: Custom
Formula: =AND(A10,INT(A1)=A1,LEN(A1)=8)

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Connie Martin" wrote:

I want to validate a cell that it must have an 8-digit number put in it---no
shorter, no longer. No matter how I validate the cell it won't work unless I
select "text length". This is not to be text! It's supposed to be an
8-digit number! What gives? How does one validate this cell to restrict it
to just that? How can something so simple be so contrary?