Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Domenic

Default Matching Text with With Certain Criteria

Here's a variation of the solution offered by Max...

1) List the key text strings in a range of cells, let's say Z2:Z5.

2) Define (Insert Define Name) the following...

Name: BigNum

Refers to:

=9.99999999999999E+307

Click Add

Name: List

Refers to:

=$Z$2:$Z$5

Click Ok

3) Then try the following formula...

=MID(C2,LOOKUP(BigNum,FIND(List,C2)),FIND(",",C2&" ,",LOOKUP(BigNum,FIND(L
ist,C2)))-LOOKUP(BigNum,FIND(List,C2)))

Note that the formula is case-sensitive. If you want the formula to be
case-insensitive, replace FIND with SEARCH.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
SteveC wrote:

here is what I"m looking for. I don't know if it needs to be a macro.
Thanks for taking a look:

If text in column B does not contain any text that contains NYSE:,
NasdaqNM:, NasdaqSC:, Amex:, then find text in column G that does contain
NYSE:, NasdaqNM:, NasdaqSC:, Amex: and return that entire phrase of text to
column b.

here is the data set:
Column A Column B ... Column G
Nokia HLSE:NOK1V HLSE:NOK1V, BMV:NOK.N, ENXTAM:NOKA, NYSE:NOK

The cell in Column G has a lot more text than showed here.

Then I would like the data in Column B replaced with NYSE:NOK.

When I say Column, I am referring to a particular cell in the Column. This
worksheet has about 2000 rows of cells in each column.

Thanks for your help!