Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Default Matching Text with With Certain Criteria

Here's one crack at this ..

Put in say, H1:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,{"NYSE:,";"NasdaqNM:,";"NasdaqS C:,";"Ame
x:,"})))0,"NYSE:NOK",IF(SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,{"NYSE:,";"NasdaqNM
:,";"NasdaqSC:,";"Amex:,"})))0,G1,""))

Copy H1 down to H2000 ?

Then copy col H and overwrite col B with a paste special values, then
delete col H

Above presumes that "nothing", i.e.: ""
is to be returned if both conditions are not satisfied
(no hint was deduced from your post)
--
Max
Singapore
"SteveC" wrote in message
here is what I"m looking for. I don't know if it needs to be a macro.
Thanks for taking a look:

If text in column B does not contain any text that contains NYSE:,
NasdaqNM:, NasdaqSC:, Amex:, then find text in column G that does contain
NYSE:, NasdaqNM:, NasdaqSC:, Amex: and return that entire phrase of text

column b.

here is the data set:
Column A Column B ... Column G
Nokia HLSE:NOK1V HLSE:NOK1V, BMV:NOK.N, ENXTAM:NOKA,

NYSE:NOK

The cell in Column G has a lot more text than showed here.

Then I would like the data in Column B replaced with NYSE:NOK.

When I say Column, I am referring to a particular cell in the Column.

This
worksheet has about 2000 rows of cells in each column.

Thanks for your help!