Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
goofy11

Default Updating links to closed workbooks

I have a report template full of formulas. I'm using a variety of
Index/Match formulas to find 2 criteria and return the desired result. I'm
also using Sumproduct to sum columns based on 2 criteria. As you would
expect, with these array formulas it takes a while for Excel to perform all
the calculations. There are 4 workbooks that I'm saving over each week that
supply the data for my template report workbook. If I save over these 4
workbooks, then open them up, then open up my template, it takes the template
about 6.5 minutes to update. This isn't too bad. What I would like to do is
this:
Save over the 4 workbook files. Then just open the report template and
select update links. When I tried to do this yesterday afternoon, I hit
update links at about 5 pm and left for the day. When I came back in this
morning, the screen on my computer still had the update links box up...it
looked like no progress was made and Excel was frozen. I tried again this
morning and the same thing happened. The report template and the referenced
files are all in the same folder on a network drive. Is there a reason why I
have to have all the files open in order for the template to update? Why
won't it update the closed files?

Thanks,

Jeff