Bob Phillips

Louise,

It is doing a lookup on the value below. If you add ,FALSE at the end
(=VLOOKUP(val, table, 2,FALSE), it will do an exact match, and return #N/A
if it doesn't match.

--

HTH

RP

"Louise" wrote in message
I have created a VLookUp table that looks at Column A in one workbook,
compares it to another column in the LookUp table and if the values are

the
same, it returns a value from one of the other columns - Column D - the

third
column in the LookUp.

The actual LookUp works fine and where there are identical matches, it
returns the correct value. However, even when the values in the LookUp

table
and the other workbook do not match, it returns a figure and I don't know
why. I don't know where the figure has come from and how Excel has

arrived
at it?

Does anybody have any ideas how this has happened?

THank you.

Louise