Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Beege

Default Convert text strings to a code or number

"MaxNY23" wrote in message
In column A and B I have text representing an Entity and its Intercompany,
respectively. In column C I have concatenated the two. So now in Column
C,
for example, I have "BillTom" in row 1 and "TomBill" in row 900.

I need Excel to convert the text into some sort of code, ASCII or number
that shows they are EQUAL. I need something that shows "TomBill" and
"BillTom" are the same thing, just in a different order.

I cannot build an IF formula or use Find/Replace, as I will have thousands
of these types of combinations.

Thanks!

Max,

Not familiar with VBasic or macros myself, I'd use CHBASE from the
morefunc.dll that may not be installed. I'd convert separately your first
and second columns from base 36 to Base 10 give a value, a code if you will,
for each side, and compare both sides against each other in another
column.... way out there, but I've such a simple mind...

Beege