Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Clivey_UK

Default If the cell contains..., do something

I'm not sure how you could do this with conditional formatting, which is
what you need for the last part of your question.
However, you also need to say do a count, so try the following for
point 1)
a) =IF(LEFT(A1,6)="senior","Yes","")
b) =IF(ISERR(IF(SEARCH("March",A1,1)0,1,"")),"","Yes ")
c) =IF(RIGHT(A1,3)="boy","Yes","")
d) As b) which just finds the word March anywhere in the text.
Hope this helps.
Clive

0-0 Wai Wai ^-^ Wrote:
If the cell contains..., do something

Hi.

1)
How to do the following:
a) If the cell starts with "senior", do something... (eg count that
cell if the
cell starts with "senior")
b) If the cell has "March" in the middle, do something...
c) If the cell ends with "boy", do something...
d) If the cell contains the word (it doesn't matter where the word
locates), do
something...
??

2) Can you answers in Q1 be used in "conditional formatting"?
I need these conditons to format my cells too!

--
Clivey_UK
Clivey_UK's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32569