Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kassie

Default Time difference

You could use an extra column, so that you have one column for positive, and
one for negative, but both showing positive. To do that, merely swop the
arguments, as follows:

=IF(C4<1/3,(8/24)-C4,"") to calculate negative hours and
=IF(C41/3,C4-(8/24),"") to calculate positive hours. In this way, you can
balance out overtime and time off.

"Stephanie" wrote:

ok, I figured it out. It shows negative numbers as #####. Is there any way
to make it show as a negative?
--
Steph

"Sloth" wrote:

excel stores time in number of days, to 8 hours is really 8/24, or 1/3. Use
this formula

=C2-8/24
or
=C2-1/3

Other notes about time:
-I like to keep it as 8/24, so it makes more sense to other people who might
look at it, but it really doesn't matter which format you use.
-If you want something in decimal hours (5.5 instead 5:30) mulitply the
result by 24 and format as a number.
-If you want elapsed time that will be over 24 hours use a custom number
format of
[h]:mm
without the brackets, 27:34 would show like 3:34.

"Stephanie" wrote:

This is time worksheet:

Time in/time out/Number hours/difference.

First three are fine. The difference should be the difference between
column C and 8 hours.

Ideally, it would show the difference in hours and minutes. I've tried
=C2-8, but all I get is #######.

Any suggestions?

--
Steph