Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom Ogilvy

Default Preventing manual entry in dropdown list ... possible?

In xl2000 and earlier, if you locked the cells and protected the sheet, as I
recall, you could still use the data validation dropdown to update the cell.
I don't have a copy of those versions to test, so I can't verify it; but that
is my recollection.

I believe this behavior has changed and you can no longer edit the cell in
xl2002 and later. (which personally I think is the wrong way to go).

Tom Ogilvy

"Maurice" wrote:

I have created a Worksheet which has a number of cells with dropdown lists.
Now I have noticed that when such a cell is unlocked, people can manually
type into those cells as well. There is data validation in place which will
bounce any input not listed, but I would rather prefer to be ahead of the
data validation and only allow people to select the entries in the respective
lists. Initially I tried to mess around with various Excel settings (data
validation, etc...) and then with VB but I just can't seem to figure out if
it's even possible.

Is it possible to somehow prevent people from manually entering anything
into those cells, forcing them to make a pick from the list in the cell's
dropdown box? And if so, how can I do this?