Chip Pearson

The formula tests each cell in A1:A19 to not equal (<) to an
empty string (""). This results in an array of values, each
either TRUE or FALSE, each element the result of the respective
comparison operation. For example, the array might be {TRUE,
FALSE, ..., TRUE}. The double negative (--) forces the TRUE
values to a numeric value of 1 and the FALSE values to a numeric
value of 0. Finally, SUMPRODUCT adds up the 1s and 0s.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Brian" wrote in message
Hi
Thank You.
Could you translate this formula in regular talk so that I can
understand
how it works?
What is this syntax saying if it can be said in words? What is
the -- and <
"" saying and what is the improtance of the placement of the
()?
Thanks.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A19<""))

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
try

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
formula and I wrote it like this:
=count(len1,a1:a19). I then tried a whole host of other
combinations of
different formulas but of course none of them worked simply
because I do
not
really know how to put a formula together. Can someone help
me with this
formula?
Thank You
Brian
PS, barring computer courses in excel, where can I get
comprehensive
information on how to create and put formulas together. I
want to know
what
things like the * does or why placement of Parenthesis are
important, what
is
the -- that I see alot. Excel does describe each formula but
nowhere does
it
explain the little details I mentioned above?