Skip Bisconer

Use the Counta function

I found this by typing count in the help search bar.

Try these sites
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/topic.htm
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...e/default.aspx

Good hunting

SKip Bisconer

"Brian" wrote:

in cell a20 i want to count the range a1:a19 when there is data in the cell.
I am using the =count(a1:19) and it returns 19 everytime regardless if the
cell has data in or not. Cells a1:a19 do have a formula that indicates to
return the contents of another cell. Realizing this I tried to do a len
formula and I wrote it like this:
=count(len1,a1:a19). I then tried a whole host of other combinations of
different formulas but of course none of them worked simply because I do not
really know how to put a formula together. Can someone help me with this
formula?
Thank You
Brian
PS, barring computer courses in excel, where can I get comprehensive
information on how to create and put formulas together. I want to know what
things like the * does or why placement of Parenthesis are important, what is
the -- that I see alot. Excel does describe each formula but nowhere does it
explain the little details I mentioned above?