Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
JohanD

Default Line chart with multiple scales/units along an axis...

Hi!

I have a rather complex chart that I need to create... hopefully
someone here can help me with this issue...
The problem is the following:

I have offers from vendors for two types of cables that I want to
compare to each other in a chart. One vendor offers the cable in
certain lenghts measured in feet and one vendor offers in (different)
lenghts measured in meters. What I want is plot the price/feet on the
Y-axis and have both a feet scale and a metric scale on the X-axis and
the scales are to be linear i.e. fixed intervals at say 0, 500, 1000,
1500... ft and the metric at 0, 500, 1000... meter etc.
There is not a lot of data, basically just this:

Vendor "A":
5000 ft, 8 USD/ft
25000 ft, 7 USD/ft
50000 ft, 6 USD/ft
etc.

Vendor "B":
300 m, 10 USD/ft
5000 m, 7 USD/ft
25000 m, 6 USD/ft
etc...

Plotting this with a line chart with data points marked is not a
problem but I can only get one unit on the X-axis where I would like to
have 2 scales with different units (ft and meters).

Even better would be to be able to have a third scale on the X-axis
that displays the number of units a certain lenght of cable is good for
(one unit = 110 ft of cable) so one can look at the chart and read that
"xxx meters/feet of cable from vendor A/B equals xxx number of finished
units and costs xxx USD/ft).

Whew... maybe too much details but PLEASE tell me this is possible to
do!:)

Any input into how to make such a chart is extremely welcome!

/Johan

--
JohanD
JohanD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32573