Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Default Array Function

The ROW and INDEX functions are used to coerce Excel into creating a
sequential array of values (from 1 through the limit you entered in A1.

You can see how they work by doing this:
1)Edit the cell
2)Select this part of the formula: ROW(A1:INDEX(A:A,A1,1))
3)Press the [F9] key

If A1 contains 4, you'll see this: {1;2;3;4}

Press the [Esc] key to cancel the edits.

Change the value of A1 and repeat those steps.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"John Michl" wrote:

Slight problem, Ron and Harlan. In cell A1 I have a formula that
determines the number of elements. Your formulas do not work if there
is a formula in cell A1. If I replace the formula with an actual
value, your formulas do work. I'm not sure understand why your
formulas work so I can't troubleshoot or modify. What purpose do the
ROW and INDEX functions play in your solutions?

- John