Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

Default count cells containing text

This may be helpfull if you can adapt it:

If you have any range (rows, columns, etc.) you can count text cells by
using COUNTA() and COUNT(). For example if you want the count of text cells
in column A from A1 to A500 use:

=COUNTA(A1:A500)-COUNT(A1:A500)

You can apply this to individual columns and then add the results
--
Gary''s Student

"Lisa W" wrote:

Hopefully this is what you asked for??
For the actual worksheet I am working on:
*columns a to k contain text and numbers or blanks - none of this data
is wanted for totals
*columns l,p,t,x,ab... contain text or are blank - these are the ones
we want the totals at the end of each row ("L to O" is a set of data,
so is "p to s" and so on. We want to know how many of these sets occur
in each row - if the beginning column (l, p etc) contains text then the
following 3 will too, otherwise blank

Thanks!
Lisa:)

--