Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Buttrey

Default Could I use Vlookup?

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:04:01 -0500, Den
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 05:47:20 -0500, Den
wrote:

Found the problem but not the solution ;-(

I took the example of line
kat25.jpg E:\My PICTURES\2004\20040326_1698.jpg

and also the line on sheet2 col A
cell[2].images[0].image=../../../E:\My PICTURES\Fam/Friends\kat25.jpg

and paste it at the end of my complete worksheet that didn't work
sorted sheet1 on column A and got the right result in sheet2 col B
for that added line

For some reason it doesn't work on the other lines and the problem is
with the last argument in the RIGHT function.

the working solution gives: ...&VLOOKUP((right(cell....kat25.jpg;9))
instead of the 9 or any other figure we get #N/A in all other lines

if I'm not mistaken it would be the MATCH function that gives this
result.

Den

Hi Richard,

Also found the solution.

The problem was with ...ME...in the first place :-(((

The example I gave you in sheet2 col A

cell[2].images[0].image=../../../E:\My PICTURES\Fam/Friends\kat25.jpg

but the actual data a

cell[2].images[0].image=../../../E:/My PICTURES/Fam/Friends/kat25.jpg

no "\" at all

So what I did was to replace "\" by "/" in ...MATCH("\",MID(....

and the formula is working great

Again I'm so grateful to you Richard for your help. It gave me much
more then a solution to a problem. From now on I may be an advocate
who believes that anything is possible with Excel.

Some of my friends had tried to help me with the mixture of three
programs to do the job with no success. (Better to have new friends
:-))

This newsgroup will be my learning platform & look for your advises to
others.

Thank to the group

Den
Canada

Hi Den,

So glad you've got this working. Some of the stuff that people post
here is quite remarkable. Especially the extended use of SUMPRODUCT
and array formulae which are achieving results that I guess not even
Microsoft had ever considered.

The structures are not always immediately obvious, but stick with it
and play around with them starting with short formulae and building up
the complexity by adding additional elements.

I've been amazed at some of the things that can be achieved with
Excel, and this NewsGroup along with
microsoft.public.excel.programming must be the two most useful areas
on the internet. Not only that, but the patience of people and the
speed of response is legendary.

Hope you have lots of happy learning experiences ahead. I certainly
have since I first came here three years ago.

Rgds

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK