Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Go

Default Formula to find highest alphabetic name in a list of names

Thanks this is what i was after. Works nicely

"Domenic" wrote:

Try...

=INDEX(A2:A10,MATCH(0,IF(A2:A10<"",COUNTIF(A2:A10 ,""&A2:A10)),0))

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Grd wrote:

Hi,

I tried using the max function to find the highest name eg Zachary but it
only seems to work with numbers. I am I doing something wrong?

Is there some function to find the highest name in a list of names.

Its driving me crazy. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sandra