Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Formula to find highest alphabetic name in a list of names

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:23:09 -0800, Grd wrote:

Hi,

I tried using the max function to find the highest name eg Zachary but it
only seems to work with numbers. I am I doing something wrong?

Is there some function to find the highest name in a list of names.

Its driving me crazy. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sandra

What do you mean by "highest"?

If you mean the text string that will sort last in an Excel text sorted range,
then one way would be to download and install Longre's free morefunc.xll add-in
from http://xcell05.free.fr

Then use the formula:

=VSORT(rng)

--ron