Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
broro183

Default Test skill of a job applicant in Excel

Hi Babara,
Why not just ask them?
It is a very quick question & can be answered just as quickly if the
applicant wishes to use the yes/no approach. However, if they elaborate
you may learn a lot more about them through their use of language
etc...
eg applicant "linked work sheets?...'phff', of course" may combine with
body language & tone to allow interviewer interpretation of applicant =
arrogant & unsuitable, cf "linked worksheets?...yes, I can, for example
when I have two workbooks open... & the links can be absolute or
relative depending on their intended purpose..." may result in
interpretation of applicant = has knowledge of Excel terminology & can
put across concepts clearly.

On the other hand if this is to be part of an online test, provide
links to 2 workbooks, ask the question (eg "Please link the closing
balance of SOH from the 2005 file to the appropriate cell as the
opening balance of the 2006 file.") & just review the applicant's saved
file after the test.

Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

--
broro183
broro183's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30068