Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Default How do I print comments on a chart?

1. Discussed in response to your other post.
2. Make a data series with x,y pairs where you want to center a label. Plot
the points in an XY series, use the chart labeler to apply the labels, using
the Center alignment option, then format the series without lines or
markers. It is an easy solution, once you get the hang of it.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"tom zane" wrote in message
Mr. Peltier:

Two questions:

1. Using XY Chart labeler, if I make a label for a data point, and then
change the source data, will that label stay with that data point?

2. Is there some way that Excel can chart text onto a chart? If so,
perhaps
that would be the easiest solution.
Thanks.

Tom -

Excel remembers that a label goes with point X of a series, so if your
data
range still includes the point, but dynamically you've moved it to point
Y,
the label stays at X. You need to use a dummy series then for your labels
and phase-change line. I think I would add each phase change line as a
separate one-point series so that the point (no marker) coincides with
the
point you want to highlight, and the point anchors the label. Use the
label
text as the series title, and it's easier to apply to the point than
having
to use one of these addins. Then use Y error bars that will reach down to
the bottom and up to the top of the chart. It's related to this example:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...ertErrBar.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"tom zane" <tom wrote in message
Thank you very much, but those two programs are not doing what I need:

I am entering number data per month - For example, January - 10;
February
24; March - 3; April - 15; and so on. I do this each month throughout
the
year, and I have multiple years entered.

I then construct line charts showing the data across a several-month
period.
It could be one calendar year, or it could be March 2004 through March
2005.

I need to occasionally label ONE month's data; then, whenever i change
the
source data for the next chart, that label needs to STICK WITH the
assigned
data point and move with it when the new chart is constructed.

Additionally, I need a (what I call) a phase-change line to be linked
the
data point and the data label. This line is a vertical line from the
data
label at the top of the chart, down through the data point to the
x-axis
at
the bottom. And this line needs to be locked (stick with) the data
point
and
label as I change the source data for a new chart.

Does this make sense? Can this be done?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Put the comments into another column, then use one of these free Excel
add-ins to use these cells to label the points.

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler,
http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Tom Z." <Tom wrote in message
Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those
cells, I
have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments
printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?