Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MrShorty

Default Need help with iteration

The "iteration" option is used when your problem sets up as a "circular
reference". It is designed for cases where one would use a numerical
method (like successive approximations or a Newton Raphson method) to
converge on the correct answer. As you state your problem, it never
"converges" to anything, just grows without bound.

As Gary's Student said, this is a problem that doesn't need any kind of
iteration, it needs algebra. I'll elaborate on his solution:

1) To reduce your description of the problem to algebraic notation:
8.8E6=sum(k*n(i))
2) As noted, multiplication is distributive, so we can rewrite as
8.8E6=k*sum(n(i))
3) k is the unkown, so we solve for k: k=8.8e6/sum(n(i)). Then round
k down to the nearest 1e-4, and you have your solution.

Does that make any more sense?

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181