Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MO

Default Count Function

Thank you for your help Duke. Your assumptions are correct; however, it does
not work. I need a count of how many x's are in column A for each(N E S W)
and I need a count of how many x's are in column B for the same. I know I
have to list N E S W somehwhere and then I need a count for x's for each to
appear.
--
Thank you for you help
MO

"Duke Carey" wrote:

Your statement of the problem isn't too clear but, assuming the Ns, Es, etc
are in column C and the Xs are in columns A & B, you can use this count the
entries in col A

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="X"),--(C1:C100="N"))

and this for col B

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B100="X"),--(C1:C100="N"))

"MO" wrote:

I have 3 colums of data with multiple rows. the first two columns contain
"x"'s while the third contains 1 alphabet. I'm trying to set up a formula
that says if column 3=N, and there is an "x" in column 1 or 2 count "x"
seperatly in each column. (ie. total column would be N, E S,W, then each row
would have a total for "x"'s in that particular row. Same thing, if Column
3=N, if Column 3=S, if Column 3=W. I've been trying for days to get this and
I'm giving up. Can any of you nice folks help?
--
Thank you for you help
MO