Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar

Default why a reference to an empty cell is not considered empty

The presence of a formula in a cell makes that cell non-blank. Even if the
value returned is nothing, it is stlil a returned value.

I'm not clear as to what exactly you're trying to do, but how about using
double-quotes "" to find a blank value in a cell with a formula?

=IF(A2="","Empty","Full")

HTH,
Elkar

"Nicoscot" wrote:

I do not understand why a cell that contains a formula which result is empty
is not considered as an empty cell.
Example: The cell A1 is empty; in cell A2 I type =A1; in cell A3 I type
=if(isblank(A2);"empty";"full") and the result in A3 is... "full". I do not
get it.
Other example:The cell A1 is empty; in cell A2 I type =A1; in cell A3 I type
=if(A20;"number higher than 0";"other") and the result in A3 is... "number
higher than 0"!!!!.... Even in the case that the value in A2 was 0 how could
it be strictly superior to 0!!! That makes no sense at all.
Please tell me how to create a reference to an empty cell whose result is
indeed an empty cell. I am going crazy.