Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Colin

Default Mail Merge 255 Character Limit Problem

I am having some trouble doing a mail merge. It works sometimes but not
others. I just need to figure out the exact order to open and save files in
I think but cannot seem to do it consistently. I have three files:
1. An excel file with some general information
2. An excel file that pulls information from the first file via vlookup
3. A word file I want to use for the mail merge (using information from
file 2.)

It has worked sometimes, but other times the 255 character limit kicks in.
It is pulling the info from the first file to the 2nd but no always over to
the word file.

Some things I have tried:
a) opening file 1, then file 2, then open file 3 and do the merge
b) opening file 1, then file 2, save file 2, open file 3 and do mail merge
c) open file 1, then file 2, then file 3, save file 2, do mail merge

And a couple of others. Anyway I just can't quite figure it out (though as
I said I have made it work before... just don't know what order I used when I
did it)

Thanks