Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

Default I need to subtotal based on an if

Can you use Data Subtotals? Select your table, then use the menu bar to
select Data then Subtotals. In the dialog, indicate that you want a subtotal
at each change in Group, producing the Sum of Amt.
If you want it in a separate column as you showed it, enter a formula in C2
(assuming the table is in A1:Bxxx, with labels in row 1):
=if(a2=a3,"",sum(b$2:b2)-sum(c$1:c1)). Autofill that formula down through
column C.
--Bruce

"Sandy" wrote:

I have a list of people who are in certain groups, each person pays so much
money and the list is added to daily. I want to know what the totals are for
different groups.

group amt
1 50
1 25