Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Richard Erlacher

Default how can I limit my chart

Jon,

This is supposed to be a line chart. I have several lines I want to have
appear, the leftmost of which is intended to be the X-axis. Unfortunately,
instead of this, XL is using the row numbers on the left margin of the page,
which is not helpful. It works as well, I guess as an XY chart. That way I
get what I want to show.

Thanks for the help.

regards,

Richard

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
Do you want a line chart, or an XY chart? Is there any numerical
significance to the numbers? A line chart will plot them as labels in the
order they appear in the worksheet, uniformly spaced across the bottom of
the chart, without regard to the value of the numbers. An XY chart plots X
as a value vs. Y as a value. An XY chart will also automatically use the
first column for X values, while a line chart only does sometimes.

You also asked about scaling the Y axis. Double click on it, click on the
Scale tab, then enter values you prefer to the automatic values Excel
computes. Don't check the boxes in front of the numbers after you change
them (seems silly, but lots of people do this and wonder why their entries
are ignored).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Richard Erlacher" wrote in message
Nope, these are all numbers. However, it's the row-numbers that are
currently appearing on the x-axis of my chart, and it's the first columnt
in my data set that I want used. I had the impression that if I select
just the columns I want presented in my chart, XL will use the leftmost
as the "default" x-axis.

The problem isn't that it's not using data I do want used, but, rather,
quite the opposite. Those line-numbers are meaningless on my chart and I
want the vaules in my first column used instead.

Regards,

Richard

"Tushar Mehta" wrote in message
If the first column contains text information, select any cell in the
range
you want charted, then click the Chart Wizard button. XL should use
the
first column as the x-axis values.

If it doesn't you have two choices. Either delete the header of the
first
column, then follow the steps in the previous paragraph or in the 2nd
step of
the chart wizard click the Series tab and then set the first column as
the
Category (X) values.

Tushar Mehta
http://www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach

"Richard Erlacher" wrote:

I wish to limit my chart to only the data I entered into the
spreadsheet.
How can I suppress the use of the row numbers as the x-axis on a line
chart?

I want the leftmost selected column to be my horizontal axis, relative
which every other column is displayed. I also need to control the
scale of
the vertical axis, but "help" doesn't help with that either.

How can I do this?

Richard