Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default Finding Matching Symbols in 2 Columns

Hi!

If you want to use a helper column: (as I recall, you had about 7000
symbols)

Assume the helper column is column P.

Assume the symbols are in Q1:Rn.

Enter this formula in P1:

=IF(COUNTIF(R:R,Q1),ROW(),"")

Copy down to Qn.

Extract the matches:

Enter this formula in some cell, say, T1:

=IF(ROWS($1:1)<=COUNT(P:P),INDEX(Q:Q,SMALL(P:P,ROW S($1:1))),"")

Copy down until you get blanks meaning all the matches have been extracted.

Biff

"Manfred" wrote in message
I have a list of stock symbols (filtered using a separate program) in
column Q, along with another list in column R that MAY OR MAY NOT have some
of the same symbols. My objective is to place the symbols that match (from
columns Q and R) in a separate column (column S). Is it possible for Excel
to perform this function, and if so, can someone offer the formula for
doing so? Any help would be appreciated.