Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Default Keeping leading 0's

Could you add a leading "X" in front of the leading 0's? That would be easy
to then strip it out once it's in Excel, leaving the leading 0 in place.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"I'd rather be Jeep'n , Charlie" wrote:

I'm using Excell 2003 and have spreadsheet(s) provided by vendors, where
one column is formated as text and is used to store part numbers which are
alpha numeric. Some part numbers start with "0". It is absolutely necessary
to preserve the leading zero, as a part number "01" is different than a part
number of "1".

Problem:

In order to import the data that is in my spreadsheet, into my Unix Database
I must save my spreadsheet as a comma deliminated file (CSV). When I save my
spreadsheet as a CSV file it strips the leading 0's from the part numbers. I
have done every thing I can think of to preserve the leading 0's without any
luck.

Question:

Does any one know how to preserve the leading 0's when saving a Excell 2003
spreadsheet to a CSV file.

Rapidly going bald,
Charlie