Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dana DeLouis

Default Can Excel solve this or get to optimum.

Maybe someone will jump in with a solution, but just to mention...
In general, these are difficult to solve.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SocialGolferProblem.html

--
HTH. :)
Dana DeLouis

"Dennis Saunders" wrote in message
A group of 12 golfers go on holiday to play 5 rounds in 3 groups of 4.
Is it possible for each player to play with every other at least once and
no more than 2 or 3 times?
The nearest I can get is each player to play with a permanent partner and
play each of the other pairs in turn.
This means that each player plays with everyone else, but is "stuck" with
his partner for all 5 rounds.
I wondered if Excel could come up with a better solution.....maybe play
with 10 out of 11 others but no more than twice with any one player. I've
got no idea how to set this out in excel.