Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Importing text into Excel...

When you import a text file, excel sees each line as a new row.

Depending on how the data is laid out, you may be able to manipulate it after
you import it.

But there are plenty of ways this won't work (multiple fields having multiple
lines).

You may be better off manipulating the text file and changing those
linefeed/carriage returns within each field to a different (unique) character.

Then import the file and change that unique character to an alt-enter.

Tim M wrote:

Greetings, I have some reports generated as .RTF files, I can open them and
save them as .txt files for import into Excel.

With the text import wizard you can create line breaks thus separating data
into columns. However since I have some large text descriptions in the file
I want to have numerous lines be imported into the same row. Presently it
sticks one line of text into each separate row. Is this possible or am I
missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help.

--

Dave Peterson