Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

Default Cannot open an XLS file.

Well, it is possible for files to become damaged for various reasons. Are
you working in a corporate environment? If yes, do they do nightly backups?

"ntwiz2" wrote in message
I did not create the file myself. The creator is unable to open as well.
Virus scan did not identify any problems with it.

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"ntwiz2" wrote in message
Using Office 2003 on Windows XP Pro

Trying to open a .xls file and I receive this message:

"This file is not in a recognizable format". The file is in a shared
directory with other excel files that open just fine. I tried to
rename
the
file with .txt just to see anything and the file was blank, however,
the
file is 82K.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tim

Did you create it originally, or someone else? And, have you pointed your
virus scanner at it, just for the hell of it?