Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dan

Default Reference cell location

I retried the equation and it works for your example but it will not work
when the "reference" for CELL is a VLOOKUP.

I have VLOOKUP working in the cell directly above the CELL equation, then I
copied and inserted the equation into the CELL("address",VLOOKUP(...)) but I
get an error when I select enter.

Not sure where the error is or why it will not work with VLOOKUP.

Regards,

Dan

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

It doesn't matter where the the table is, it will return the address with
workbook name and sheet name if it is in another sheet. I suspect that you
implement it incorrectly or that your data does not match (if you get #N/A).
Create a fake table and test and you'll see that it works

=CELL("address",INDEX(Sheet1!B2:B7,MATCH(A1,Sheet1 !A2:A7,0)))

will return the cell address in Sheet1

so either you applied it incorrectly or there is no exact matched lookup value

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Dan" wrote:

This works for the basic example but my cell is within another excel sheet.
It does not matter which method I use to locate the data, I need a means of
determining the position within the spreadsheet.

The CELL("address",reference) does not work when I intsert my VLOOKUP or
even your CELL("address",INDEX(array range,MATCH(A1,B2:B30,0))). It returns
an error.

Regards,

Dan

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

It's better to get it like this, if

=VLOOKUP(A1,B2:C30,2,0)

returns a value from C2:C30

then

=INDEX(C2:C30,MATCH(A1,B2:B30,0))

will return the same value

now index can be used within the cell function

=CELL("address",INDEX(C2:C30,MATCH(A1,B2:B30,0)))

will return the cell address, why you want to do this is beyond me though

Peo Sjoblom

Northwest Excel Solutions

www.nwexcelsolutions.com

(remove ^^ from email address)

Portland, Oregon

"Dan" wrote in message
Want to determine the address of a given data point. The information is in
one excel sheet "data sheet" and the equation will be in another sheet
"calc
sheet". I used VLOOKUP to locate the data in the "data sheet" based on the
criteria in "calc sheet".

Now I need to determine the address of the returned data, which will be
used
for further calculations.

Thanks

Dan