Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Default consolidation of tables in excel with text and figures

When you use Data Consolidation in Excel, it only uses the top row and left
column as references to buld the consolidation. Consequently, if you have
text in Col_A and Col_B and values in the other columns, you'll lose whatever
is in Col_B.

There are other alternatives, but we (ok...I ) would need to know what the
rules are. You say "columns are not always the same". Since that means you
couldn't just copy/paste the ranges, how are you hoping to consolidate? Do
you want all possible column headings and the appropriate data to align under
each heading? Would there be any summarization of like items?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"samenvoegen van sheets" wrote:

Hello,

I have to consolidate about 20 sheets from 20 differents workbooks (always
the first one of a workbook).
The amount of columns are not always the same, so i have used the
"consolidation" option. The problem is that with the consolidation tool the
text does not appear on the consolidate sheet.

what did i do wrong? Or is there an other way to do so?

thanks in advance
Florence