Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

Default Wildcard with sumif

the "--" is used to convert an array of logical values (ie {TRUE, TRUE,
FALSE, TRUE}), to an array of 1's and 0's (ie {1,1,0,1}). This is necessary
because SUMPRODUCT will skip anything other than numerical values (like the
SUM function).

"fractallinda" wrote:

terrific!! It worked great!
What is the "--" ? I had tried that formula without -- and it didn't work.
Thank you SO much

"fractallinda" wrote:

I'm trying to get the sum of a list of numbers that start with a certain
number (in this example 1). I can't seem to make any wildcard work. My
numbers all have 5 digits so I've tried 1* and 1????.
=SUMIF(A1:A307,"1*",F1:F307)
=SUMIF(A1:A307,"1????",F1:F307)
don't work. Will someone please tell me what I'm doing incorrectly? Thanks
in advance.