Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron P

Default Checking for Multiple Values

I would try to solve your problem by combining an "if" statement with a
"vlookup".

I created a table M1:N7 like the following

a 340
b 350
c 350
d 300
e 280
f 250
g 230

Starting in A1 I had the following:
A B C D
1 Name Category Score W/L
2
=IF(VLOOKUP(B2,$M$1:$N$7,2,FALSE)C2,"win","loss")
3

Copy the formula down as far as required.

Hope this helps

Ron

"guilbj2" wrote in
message ...

Man... this one has me stumped. I'm getting a little further into =IF
that I have previously and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
direction. Agents in our business have the following goals based on how
long they've been with the company (lower number = more seniority, more
difficult to hit). I

340 = Category A
350 = Category B
350 = Category C
300 = Category D
280 = Category E
250 = Category F
230 = Category G

I'm going to have one column (Lets say D) with all of their categories.
In a second column (E) I'll have their results. I'd like to craft an
=IF that will check to see the category, and then see if they've come
in under their goal... something like these ones, but combined into
one formula rather than 7 individual ones:

=IF(AND(D1="A",E1<340), "WIN", "LOSS")
=IF(AND(D1="B",E1<350), "WIN", "LOSS")
=IF(AND(D1="C",E1<350), "WIN", "LOSS")
=IF(AND(D1="D",E1<300), "WIN", "LOSS")
=IF(AND(D1="E",E1<280), "WIN", "LOSS")
=IF(AND(D1="F",E1<250), "WIN", "LOSS")
=IF(AND(D1="G",E1<230), "WIN", "LOSS")

These formulas work great for one category, but I want to create a
single formula that basically checks which category is listed in column
D and then applies the proper criteria for the goal.

I've always considered myself a pretty educated Excel user, but I am in
awe of the level of ability many of you have. Hopefully someone can
come to my rescue.

--
guilbj2
guilbj2's Profile: