Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BigPig

Default How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

Hi Misty,

I am sorry for not seeing this post until now.

You probably have already figured it out, but I will answer your question as
best as I can.

Unfortunately I can't give you a sample, since I can't attach an example via
this forum. However:

Look at 'data validation'. Debra Dalgleish's site is an awesome reference
for 'data validation'. http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal

With her help I have saved myself many headbanging moments.

In a workbook, make a column in 'a' with the heading of 'wood', and then put
in a2 Bamboo, and a3 Maple, and in a4 Oak. Then in column b put a heading of
price, then in b2 put in 3.50, b3 2.50 and b4 1.25. You can format the
numbers as prices (right click, format cells, number, currency).

Part of the key here is to make the column that you are indexing-sorted. It
has to be sorted in ascending order for this example.

In the same worksheet, for example, in cell a10, go to data-validation-allow
list. Then select the range $A$2:$A$4. You don't necessarily have to use data
validation, but it helps.

In cell b10, put in this formula =INDEX(A2:B4,MATCH(A10,A2:A4,0),2)

What this formula does is finds the row that the cell a10 has in it, ie Oak.
Then it selects the data 2 columns over, 1.25.

Match finds the number of the row, index finds the data at a particular
intersection. (row, column)

This is just one example, you could also use vlookup as mentioned by L.
Howard Kittle.

Either way works.