Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
paul

Default How do I get a number or letter to represent cell contents?

vlookup will do what you want.On your sheet somewhere you need to make a
table,in cell c1,1,d1,apple,c2,2,d2,ball,etc through to c7,7,d7,grape,in a2
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,C1:D7,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1, C1:D7,2,FALSE)) when you
type 1 or whatever in a1 you get the desired text in a2,if nothing is in a1
a2 is blank
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"Formula help" wrote:

I am trying to find a way to have a number or letter represent certain cell
contents so that when I type that number or letter into a new cell it will
automatically fill with the represented cell contents. Example: cell A1=
Apples and I want 1 to represent the contents in A1 which is Apples so that
when I enter 1 into cell A2 the word Apples automatically fills in for cell
A2.