Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Working from 2 computers

I'm saying that I've found it always better to keep one version of the
workbook. I'll share it with other people (or other pcs), but while someone
else has that workbook, I don't do anything to any other copy.

When they're done, they give me the workbook back. Then it's my workbook to
update and they don't do anything more.

I can share that file via a network drive or floppies or cd's or thumb
drives--but only one person is working on the file at a time. Then when they
finish, they pass their updated file to the next person.

So as long as you open the same workbook (not copies!), then you shouldn't have
any problem.

But as soon as you make two copies of the same workbook and update each of them,
you'll be out of sync--no matter how hard you try to keep them the same.

famdamly wrote:

Thanks again for your help.

Are you telling me that I can't work on a workbook for a few hours on
my desktop, save and close the file. Then use my laptop to open that
same file and edit the workbook without having to rename the file or
purchase extra software?

Then could I make a macro that saves the program as a "copy of...",
deletes the original file, then renames the "copy of..." back to it's
original name and closes the program? The only thing I'm not sure of is
if you can have a macro delete a file.

--
famdamly
famdamly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29382