Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR

Default formula to calculate difference between dates and times

The entry of the time and date and the formatting of the result (formula)
cell are the governing factors here.

It's probably easier to use a *single* cell for date and time entry, with 24
hour time format.

If Column A is assault date and time, enter in this fashion:
2/24/06<Space17:00

Same for exam in Column B:
2/26/06<Space11:30

Now, in Column C:
=B1-A1
And custom format to:
[h]mm

The square brackets prevent the hours greater then 24 from rolling over into
days.
--

HTH,

RD

"Breezie" wrote in message
I need to set up a spreadsheet where the nurses will be typing in the date
and time of an assault and the date and time of an exam. I need the
spreadsheet to calculate the amount of hours that have passed between the
two
dates. So if the victim was assaulted on 02/24/06 at 9:00 PM and comes into
the hospital for an exam on 02/26/06 at 11:30 AM, I need to know how much
time in hours has passed between the day and time of the assault and the
examination. I am working on Excel 2000.
Thanks!