Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brentp97

Default How can I use "VLOOKUP" with cells containing both Text & Numb

I want the formula to be generic, and it works, except when the values being
compared have 4 or more digits.

Here is a simplified example of my spreadsheet:

Spreadsheet #1 (w/ formula):

Col. A Col. B
37 formula
108B formula
201 formula

Spreadsheet # 2 (w/ data):

Col. A Col. B
37 30Y0A
37 61120
108A 647980
108B 647103
201 15F2C

When Col. A matches in each spreadsheet, I want my formula to find the
unique value listed in Col. B of Spreadsheet # 2 for the matching value
listed in Col. A.

Is VLOOKUP limited to searching only the left-most 3 digits?

"Niek Otten" wrote:

The first argument of VLOOKUP should be one cell, not an entire column. For
exact matches, you need a fourth argument which should be set to FALSE.
Now what are you trying to match with what and if there is a match, what
should happen?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Brentp97" wrote in message
My formula reads:

=VLOOKUP($C:$C,'[POK AFE Detail.xls]AFE Detail'!B:D,3)

$C$C contains values such as 3a, 101, 235f...

Column B contains the same values as above.

Column D on contains values such as 30Y0A, 64766899, 647598...

So basically, I am asking my formula to match exact values in 2 columns
(on
seperate worksheets) and give a corresponding result from another column.
It
seems to work if the columns being compared have 3 or less characters, but
not with 4 or more characters.

I hope this helps. It's hard to describe without viewing the file itself.

"Niek Otten" wrote:

What is your formula and what data do you use? What results did you get?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Brentp97" wrote in message
I am attempting to create a cross reference between 2 spreadsheets. I
am
currently using the "VLOOKUP" function to obtain my results. The
problem
that I have run into is the values being compared & the desired output
can
contain both numbers and text (some only contain numbers). The formula
am
using will work only on numbers. How can I get this to work for a
combination of both text and numbers?