Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brentp97

Default How can I use "VLOOKUP" with cells containing both Text & Numb

My formula reads:

=VLOOKUP($C:$C,'[POK AFE Detail.xls]AFE Detail'!B:D,3)

$C$C contains values such as 3a, 101, 235f...

Column B contains the same values as above.

Column D on contains values such as 30Y0A, 64766899, 647598...

So basically, I am asking my formula to match exact values in 2 columns (on
seperate worksheets) and give a corresponding result from another column. It
seems to work if the columns being compared have 3 or less characters, but
not with 4 or more characters.

I hope this helps. It's hard to describe without viewing the file itself.

"Niek Otten" wrote:

What is your formula and what data do you use? What results did you get?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Brentp97" wrote in message
I am attempting to create a cross reference between 2 spreadsheets. I am
currently using the "VLOOKUP" function to obtain my results. The problem
that I have run into is the values being compared & the desired output can
contain both numbers and text (some only contain numbers). The formula I
am
using will work only on numbers. How can I get this to work for a
combination of both text and numbers?