Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Automatic update

Personally, I wouldn't have anything this automatic. Too many things can go
wrong--starting with me typing the wrong name and never being able to find where
it went.

And I really try to keep all the data in one worksheet--then use data|filter to
view the stuff I want.

But if you need separate worksheets for each department, then I'd suggest using
a macro and only running it when you're ready--not quite automatic, but pretty
safe.

Debra Dalgleish and Ron de Bruin have samples that you may like. Ron's addin
may be sufficient right out of the box.

Debra's site:

Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

or

Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb

And Ron de Bruin's easyfilter.
http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

LLoraine wrote:

I have a master spreadsheet that has 3 columns of data. The first column is
the Dept - lets say Dept A, B, C and D. There are 2 other columns of data.
I would like to have separate spreadsheets for each department.
Every time I enter information on the master spreadsheet, I would like
(according to what Dept is entered) the data to automatically populate that
department's spreadsheet. Is this possible?

--

Dave Peterson