Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Default SumIF linked to another spreadsheet

This should be okay

=SUMPRODUCT(--('H:\US\Rochester\Accounting\General
Files\Personal\ChristineF\Corporate Finance\Metrics Dashboard\[Sales
Forecast.xls]Forecast by IRG_SRG'!$A$8:$A$25=$C$2),
'H:\US\Rochester\Accounting\General
Files\Personal\ChristineF\Corporate Finance\Metrics Dashboard\[Sales
Forecast.xls]Forecast by IRG_SRG'!$I$8:$I$25)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ChrisN" wrote in message
I am trying your formula. Does this look right? It still didn't seem to

work.

=SUMProduct(--('H:\US\Rochester\Accounting\General
Files\Personal\ChristineF\Corporate Finance\Metrics Dashboard\[Sales
Forecast.xls]Forecast by
IRG_SRG'!$A$8:$I$25=$C$2),'H:\US\Rochester\Account ing\General
Files\Personal\ChristineF\Corporate Finance\Metrics Dashboard\[Sales
Forecast.xls]Forecast by IRG_SRG'!$I$8:$I$25)

Thanks for your help

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

SUMIF doesn't work on closed workbooks. Never has AFAIK.

Try my SUMPRODUCT, you may be pleasantly surprised.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ChrisN" wrote in message
But I am adding cells, not multiplying. I'm not sure how that would

help
me
add a number in another spreadsheet.

I thought I had done this in previous Excel versions, but not I don't
remember if the sumif was related to data in another spreadsheet or

within
the same worksheet.

Is that what it is...that it will not work outside the open

spreadsheet?
It
is weird that the only time it doesn't work is when the other

spreadsheets
are closed. If they are open, it works fine.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Use SUMPRODUCT

=SUMPRODUCT(--(rng_to_test="test_value"),rng_to_sum)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ChrisN" wrote in message
I have a SumIf linked to another spreadsheet. It works if all
spreadsheets
are open, but does not work if the source spreadsheets are not

open.
How
can
I solve for this. I have linked this way before Excel 2003 - but

this
version doesn't seem to allow it.