Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

Default - signs at back of number so won't add up, please help!

Create a helper column to the right of the numbers in and enter the following
formula in the new column, substituting the cell address A1 for the cell
address your numbers start in:

=IF(RIGHT(A1,1)="-",VALUE(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)*-1),A1)

Copy the formula down the column to get all the numbers.

Copy the all the cells in formula column, move to the top of the number
column and click EDIT in the menu and select PASTE SPECIAL. Click the
VALUES check box and click OK. Delete the column containing your formulas.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Adam" wrote:

I copy data into excel from an accounts programme, but all the minus signs
are at the back so Excel won't add these numbers up

i.e 4
3-

Th answer comes to 4 rather than one , what can I do about this?

Thanks for your help Adam

I know you guys/girls know an answer