Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default using list box to edit or select data

#1. You can save a workbook in code. If you record a macro when you do it
manually, you'll have the code.

Make sure you save the workbook as a normal workbook--not a .csv and not a
..prn. It'll work just like saving any workbook.

#2. Data|validation will help stop users. But your macros can put anything
they want into those cells. But I'd be hesitant to do that. I don't understand
the question about the formatting, though.

If you put a formula in that cell, it has to evaluate to something that's
considered valid by your data|validation rules. And formulas don't return
colors/fonts/or that kind of formatting. They return values.

#3. My personal opinion is that it's usually easier to load things into a form
from an excel worksheet--but you could do anything you want. I don't know what
flowform is.

#4. Would it have been easier to use Access? Just create an Access userform
and keep that data directly in Access? (From someone who doesn't speak the
Access.)

BigPig wrote:

Hi Dave,

Thankyou very much for your advice.

What I ended up doing was:

I had two spreadsheets:
1. Just the data that I pulled from a shared access database using data-get
external data etc... In that I created named cell ranges for ssn, other key
fields, and a named range for all of the data that I was using.

2. The form. In that I named cell ranges that referred to the 'data' sheet,
ssn, other key fields and a named range for all of the data that I was using.
I also named them the same as the 'data' sheet's named ranges. Also, I
unchecked the checkbox labeled 'Show error alert after invalid data is
entered'. Then I used data validation using the named ranges which referred
to the other named ranges using index and match.

There was some trial and error, but thanks to your advice I was able to work
it out. Thanks again!

Questions:
1. Is it possible to create a macro that will not only save the worksheet,
but all of the cell formatting (borders, row heights, column widths, merged
cells, and data)?
I know I probably should have created the form using the design feature.

2. Is it possible to have a cell that has data validation in it to show a
result in lieu of having to select the value? I have looked at some examples
that show how to do something like this, but the formatting doesn't remain.

3. Would it be easier to save the raw data input into the form via macro
into a worksheet/notepad/text file. And then be able to pull from that if
necessary into the form? Like formflow.

Thankyou again for you help.

--

Dave Peterson