Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett

Default How to Retrieve Historical Stock Prices?

Congratulations! You were able to find the correct file.. Were you able to
figure out how to use it?

I have no idea if the list is complete ?? as it is a list of files posted by
members who, if desired, have a right to their intellectual property. You
can always add sheets and use the data as desired. I just custom designed a
program for a user of this file. If you do not want to use files from this
group, don't.. If you want to discuss, join and rant all you like.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

" wrote
in message ...
"Don Guillett" wrote:
goto the yahoo group called xltraders
I have a free file there called "GetYahooMultipleHistory"
under the author donalb36.

First, how do you find these tools? When I click on "Files",
I get an alphabetized list. Is that list complete? For example,
I do not find GetYahooMultipleHistory per se, but I do find
GetYahooMultipleHistory97a_P. Is that what you really
meant, or am I missing something?

Second, it would be nice if the xltraders contributors adopted
an open-source approach to their tools. For example, the
macros in your tool are passworded. Thus: (a) I cannot
learn from them; (b) I cannot leverage them -- i.e, modify
them for my own purposes or incorporate them into my
workbook; and (c) I cannot review the implementation to
be sure that it does not contain trojan horses, viruses, and
other malicious code.

(If the OP simply needs the data to cut-and-paste into the
OP's workbook, the OP might as well use Yahoo's CSV-formatted
download feature. But the OP's requirement seems quite
clear: the OP wants to implement a user-friendly interface
in __his/her__ own spreadsheet.)

Finally, what assurance does a user have that xltraders files
do not contain trojan horses, viruses or other malicious code?
I presume the answer is "none". In that case, I would only
open such spreadsheets (with active macros) in a limited-user
account. And if I cannot look at the macros, I would be loathe
to ever use the spreadsheet in an unlimited-user (adminsitrator)
account. That further limits the usefulness of xltraders tools.
Am I being prudent or too risk-adverse?

Perhaps this should be discussed in the xltraders group. But
I think it is appropriate to highlight the "red flags" here, since
you have steered a number of people to xltraders tools in the
past.