Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Default how do I count pairs of cells when each matches a condition?

For a single formula approach, try something like this:

For numbers in Col_A and text in Col_B

This formula counts to number of times Col_A contains the number 1 when
Col_B contains the letter "d":
C1: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10=1)*(B1:B10="d"))

Adjust range references to suit your situation.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Richard pile" wrote:

I want to count the number of instances where 2 separate conditions are each
met e.g. the number of times when column A has a value of "x" AND column B
simultaneously has a value of "y" (actually one would be a numerical value
and one text). I am getting confused looking at the help section for array
formulae.
Help?!