Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

Default Excel 2003 -vs- 97

That would have worked for me in '97 Michael. With 2003 though the option
is not available to me. The box you're supposed to check for "Recently used
file list:" is grayed out as is the box you'd use to adjust the number of
entries. I'm presuming that somewhere there is some bit of configuration
that has grayed out this option. I don't know where though. I just
installed Office 2003 out of the box with whatever defaults it chose to
make.

Bill
-------------------------------------

"Michael" wrote in message
Hi Bill. Have you tried going to Tools - Options - General Tab and
changing
the number of most recently used files from 4 to 10?
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"Bill Martin" wrote:

Finally I broke down and upgraded to Excel 2003 from Excel97. Various
small
differences exist that I'm trying to come to terms with. Specifically,
in
'97 when I clicked on "File", the bottom of the menu would have the last
10
files that I had used where I could click one to open it again.

Does 2003 have this feature buried in it's configuration somewhere? It
seems that I have to click FileOpen and mouse through all my files to
get
to the one that I want. I don't see the configuration control for this
where it was with '97.

Also, how does one get to the simple Excel Help file now? When I click
on
it and enter a search term it gives me a zillion things from the web
which I
didn't ask for - what I asked for was the local Excel Help file. I'd
like
to start there with problems before doing a wider search of the
Microsoft's
web site for more esoteric links.

Thanks.

Bill