Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.sdk,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba
KevinGPO

Default QUERY: Excel's SaveAs so slow..

Just wondering if anyone knows about Excel's SaveAs command?

I load up a Excel file via VNC on a server on the otherside of the world. I
got a macro which does a SaveAs command to a network drive which is my local
HD. It takes over 12 minutes to do a save of a file only 600kb. Is this
normal?

The macro however does run a lot of formating and data parsing/entry from an
XML file, so I guess a lot of memory would be consumed. Maybe if I free up
the memory before the save? But in Excel you cannot free up memory easily.
There's no memory management commands, and no garbage collection.

Would it be quicker to issue a copy or maybe move command? Because I used
Windows Explorer to copy the 600kb excel file from the server to my local
drive and it took seconds! So maybe it's Excel '97 really slow SaveAs
command?