Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Default Need formula help setting a range for calculations

Hi

For the sake of completeness in the Google archives, Sharona mailed her
file direct.
Her "really large formula" (RLF) ,which was computing a total cost with
inflation of costs over time, I just simplified a little, but that was
not really the issue.
Cell E16 held the number of months duration of a project. For time
periods over 12 months, Sharona needed a formula to take these costs
multiplied by the number of months applicable to each of years 2, 3, 4
and 5 and obviously not include any cost for the years past the
project's duration.
The formula I gave her, entered in cell E17 and copied down through
cells E18:E20 was

=(RLF)*MAX(0,($E$16-ROW(A1)*12)/12)
For a project duration of say 33 months, this would give values of 1 ,
..75, 0, and 0 and did away with the need for any of Sharona's IF
conditions.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Sharona77" wrote in message
Thanks Roger- You were very helpful in solving my problem!!!!!

"Sharona77" wrote:

I made the following formula:
=IF(AND(F1612,F16<25),(really large formula)/12*(F16-12),0)

F16 is the # of months. What I need to do is be able to calculate
only for
the range of months listed, and if the # of months is higher, I need
to keep
the calculation to a 12 month period only, not calculate higher with
this set
of formulas. I will then have another line with the same basic
formula
calculating for the next year range, but only for 25-36 months, and
be 0 if
F16 is < 25 months.

Ideas? I can't figure out how to calculate only the months for the
ranges-
it keeps calculating more if F16 is greater than the range.

HELP!!