Dave Peterson

I'd double check the formula first.

If that's correct, try checking the number format:

Select the cell
format|cells|number tab
try changing to General
(if it's anything weird!)

Arge wrote:

Hi Ron de Bruin,Frank Kabel, Paul B and Ron Rosenfeld

Thanks to all of you for such a quick response. I had tried the COUNTIF
formula but I was not entering the X the way that was suggested. I had not
tried the COUNTA formula though. However when using both formulas if I have
3 X in the column, the answer at the bottom shows 1/3. If 4 X then it shows
1/4. I am not understanding where the 1 is coming from or now to delete it.

Again thank for the response

Bob
"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:10:08 -0500, "Arge"
wrote:

I am setting up a very simple spread sheet with a work schedule for
volunteers.

In Fields A-4 through A-24, I have their names. In fields B-4 to A-24 I
have an X showing they are working that date. These columns are repeated
all the way though T-4 to T-24.

What I am trying to do is have a count of the X's by column at the bottom
of
each column.

I have tried several different formulas, but keep receiving the error
message of the formula you typed contains an error..

I have been reading the newsgroup to see if it had been covered, but could
not find anything on it. Of course I could have followed the newsgroup
for
more than a day and maybe stumbled across it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Bob

If the cells in the column can contain only "X" or be blank, then
=COUNTA(B4:B24) will count the X's.

If there are non-X entries in those cells that you need to exclude, then
use:

=COUNTIF(B4:B24, "X")

--ron

--